Statement on behalf of the Group of 77 and China by Ms. Aleena Majeed, Third Secretary of the Permanent Mission of Pakistan, at the Economic and Social Council on the adoption of the draft resolution entitled "Programme of action for the least developed countries for the decade 2022-2031" (E/2022/23) (New York, 22 July 2022)
I have the honour to deliver this statement on behalf of the G77 and China.
2. The Group would like to thank the President of the ECOSOC for considering the resolution entitled “Programme of action for the least developed countries for the decade 2022-2031”
3. The Group deeply appreciates all the distinguished members of the Council for adopting the resolution contained in document E/2022/L.23 by consensus.
4. Special thanks go to Mr. Abdulrahman Al-Thani from the Permanent Mission of the State of Qatar for his efficient facilitation of the resolution. In the same vein the Group recognizes Ms. Renata Chivundu of Malawi, Ms. Nadja Micael of Eritrea and Mr. Nirupam Debnath of Bangladesh for representing the Group of 77 and China in the negotiations.
5. The resolution, just adopted by consensus, aptly recognizes that the multiple and widespread impacts of COVID-19, conflicts and climate change, have brought about a deterioration in the situation of food security, energy security, global trade and market stability, which is putting the very viability of achieving the Sustainable Development Goals by 2030 at great risk.
6. Implementation of the Doha Programme of Action will be vitally important for achieving rapid, sustainable and inclusive recovery from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, building resilience against future shocks, eradicating extreme poverty, bringing about structural transformation and achieving the Sustainable Development Goals, through a reinvigorated global partnership for sustainable development based on scaled-up and ambitious means of implementation and diverse support for the least developed countries.
7. The resolution calls upon the least developed countries, with the support of their development partners, to take actions to implement the Doha Programme of Action for the Least Developed Countries. The resolution also calls upon development partners and all other relevant actors to implement the Doha Programme of Action by integrating it into their respective national cooperation policy frameworks, programmes and activities, as appropriate, to ensure enhanced, predictable and targeted support to the least developed countries, as set out in the Programme of Action, and the delivery of their commitments.
8. The Group of 77 and China will support the implementation of the Doha Programme of Action within the framework of South-South Cooperation, which is not a substitute for but a complement to the North-South Cooperation.
9. The Group of 77 and China commends the decision of the Council to devote adequate time in its programme of work to discussion of the sustainable development challenges facing the least developed countries.
10. The Group reiterates the request to the Secretary-General to ensure the full mobilization and coordination of all parts of the United Nations system to facilitate coordinated implementation and coherence in the follow-up to and monitoring of the Doha Programme of Action at the national, subregional, regional and global levels,
11. We look forward to the second part of the Fifth UN Conference on LDCs which will be held in Doha, Qatar from 5-9 March 2023 at the Heads of States and Governments level.
12. The Group of 77 and China would like to put on record its special thanks and gratitude to the Government of the State of Qatar for its extraordinary support in preparation of the LDC5. I thank you Mr. President.